Research

Physics education, physics of dance...

Science advocacy and sociology

Higher education accreditation

References, music, travel, food...

UIUC HEP group

UIUC Physics Dept.

University of Illinois

My curriculum vitae

Contact information

George Gollin
Dept. of Physics
MC-704
University of Illinois
1110 West Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801-3080
USA

+1 (217) 333-4451
g-gollin@uiuc.edu

40°06'37.85"N
88°13''20.79"W

UT - 05:00

Welcome to George Gollin's home page.

Wherever Did I Put That File? GoatBags And Other Stuff
George Gollin I am a professor of physics at the University of Illinois in Urbana Champaign, giving the 9am and 10am lectures in Physics 211, and pursuing research in experimental elementary particle physics. In the recent past I've taught Physics 212, Physics 325, and Physics 326, and had the pleasure of introducing substantial units on fluid dynamics and general relativity to p325 and p326. During the spring 2011 semester I co-taught section B of FAA 199 ("Art, Creativity, Diversity") with Professor John Jennings from the College of Fine and Applied Arts. Take a look at A Highly Subjective, Highly Abbreviated History of (Western) Classical Music to see something I worked up for the class. During the spring 2015 semester I'll be co-teaching a section of FAA 110, "Exploring Arts and Creativity," with Professor Katherine Syer (Music).

My current research concentrates primarily on technical issues relating to the design and execution of the Mu2e experiment at Fermilab. We will search for neutrinoless transitions of muons into electrons in the field of Aluminum nuclei, forbidden in the Standard Model. Because many of the problems to be resolved (particularly concerning the experiment's calibration) require a working knowledge of classical mechanics and electrodynamics, our research projects are well suited to the participation of undergraduate research assistants.

Until a few years ago my research had concentrated on matters relating to the International Linear Collider. As is now true for our Mu2e projects, the work lent itself well to undergraduate participation, in which the students worked as scientists, rather than technicians. But federal funding for the ILC was cut severely in December 2007 and nearly all support for university-based accelerator work towards the ILC was eliminated.

There are organizational issues that are important for the ILC: the complexities of such a large project include matters of international cooperation as well as smooth collaboration between national laboratories and universities. I had been serving as a coordinator for the U.S. university-based ILC accelerator R&D program. See, for example, "Encouraging Greater Engagement by U.S. University Groups With International Linear Collider Accelerator R&D Projects" (114 kB pdf).

As a faculty public service activity I pay attention to problems in higher education oversight and accreditation, in particular as they relate to regulation of unaccredited degree-granting entities, and suppression of degree mills and accreditation mills. I was elected to the board of directors of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in 2006, and reelected to a second term in 2009.

In 2009 I was awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship to support research for A Dream of Serpents: Taking Down the Gang That Sold College Degrees, a book about "Operation Gold Seal" and United States of America vs. Dixie Ellen Randock, et al. This investigation and subsequent prosecution yielded eight felony convictions, obliterating the St. Regis University diploma mill and sending its owners to federal prison. It also gave rise to new legislation at both the state and federal levels. I was on sabbatical leave, then held a Center for Advanced Study Associate position during the 2009-2010 school year to work on the book. I finished the first draft in June 2011, then spent a year and a half rewriting and cutting. My manuscript is now 121,900 words, or about 310 (book) pages; I am learning about the publishing industry as I look for a literary agent to represent the book to publishers. Click here for the table of contents. Page numbers refer to a single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman manuscript with 1.25 inch margins.

Like to see how a particle physicist got interested in the arcana of higher education policy? Take a look at David Wolman's article "Fraud U: Toppling a Bogus-Diploma Empire" in the January 2010 issue of Wired magazine. One sign of how effective I have been at this is the large amount of crazy stuff you'll find about me that has been posted to the web by people who run diploma mills, or have purchased their worthless products.

The apparent corruption behind the gutting of diploma mill language from the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 led me to run for the Democratic Party's nomination as its candidate for election to the United States House of Representatives in 2014. I was endorsed by the three newspapers which expressed candidate preferences-- the Chicago Tribune, the Springfield State Journal-Register, and Champaign News Gazette-- but lost in the March 2014 primary.

See the links in the navigation panel to the left for more information.
Wikipedia Wikipedia

Physics:

On the possible construction of a Mu2e calibration linac built around a spare Project-X or ILC cryomodule, July 25, 2008.

Thoughts concerning on-orbit injection of calibration electrons through thin-target elastic scattering inside the Mu2e solenoid, January 12, 2009.

Higher education:

Sometimes, danger lurks in the diploma on the wall, an Op Ed piece that I co-authored with U.S. Congresswoman Betty McCollum (D-MN04). It appeared in the November 26, 2007 Minneapolis - St. Paul Star Tribune.

"When Criminals Control the Ministry of Education," International Higher Education, 53, pp. 5-6 (Fall 2008).

"Verification of the integrity and legitimacy of academic credential documents in an international setting," College & University, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers educational policy and research journal Vol. 84 number 4 (Spring 2009).

"The Real and the Fake: Degree and Diploma Mills," co-authored with Alan Contreras, Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning (March-April 2009).

"Wolves in Chancellors' Clothing," International Higher Education, 55, pp. 7-9 (Spring 2009).

"Complexities in Legislative Suppression of Diploma Mills," co-authored with Emily Lawrence and Alan Contreras, Stanford Law and Policy Review, 21 (May 2010).

"Slaying the Dragons of Opportunity," in 15 Ways to Take Your Furlough/Voluntary Pay Cut (May 1, 2010).

"Lurking in the Shadows: Deceptive Foreign Credential Evaluators," International Higher Education, to be published in the Summer 2013 issue.

George on TV! I participated in an August 20, 2008 segment on diploma mills on The Morning Show With Mike and Juliet.
(Click here for the second half of the segment.)

Just for fun:

Here's something very cool: computer-generated animations of a cell's interior machinery, at various (microscopic) distance scales.